Did you know that Pineto, a delightful seaside resort on the Teramo coast, owes its name to its luxuriant and fragrant pine forest, a true green lung bordering a beach with fine golden sand?
It was Commendator Luigi Corrado Filiani who, in 1926, planted the trees on state-owned land he had been granted in the territory of Villa Filiani, then a hamlet of the municipality of Mutignano, and changed its name to Pineto, inspired, it is said, by Gabriele d'Annunzio's famous poem 'La pioggia nel Pineto' (The Rain in the Pine Grove).
Located in the centre of the town, Villa Filiani was built in 1844 at the behest of landowner Giacinto Filiani. The residence, characterised by eclectic architectural lines with the prevalence of the Neo-Renaissance style, formed the first nucleus of the future centre of Pineto. Each side is adorned with a frame with floral motifs; there are small porticoes on the two opposite sides. Today, the villa, which houses the Ethnomusicological Museum of Abruzzo, is owned by the municipality, which oversaw its restoration in 2005, and hosts exhibitions, conferences and concerts throughout the year.
Unavoidable stop on your tour should be the Cerrano Tower that towers mightily over the stretch of coastline between Pineto and Silvi. It can be reached by a convenient bicycle path, an integral part of the so-called Adriatic Green Corridor. A defensive outpost built by the Spanish in the 16th century, it was renovated in the 1990s and is currently home to the Cerrano Protected Marine Area. On the beach in front, the dune area is reserved for the protection of the little friar bird and Mediterranean flora, such as the sea lily and Gargano mullein. In the water, on the other hand, ancient underwater structures are visible and can be traced back to the Roman port of the city of Hadria.
The Church of Sant'Agnese and the Church of San Silvestro Papa are also worth a visit. The former, built between 1926 and 1935 with a donation by Luigi Corrado Filiani, is characterised by an eclectic style, with references to the Romanesque of Rome's historical basilicas and with traces of Gothic elements. The ceiling is covered with wooden trusses. The second of Romanesque origins (12th century), is made of brick, with a bell tower with a scarp base and octagonal spire, set in the centre of the façade restored in 1350. The interior has a single nave, with side chapels and a wooden truss ceiling.
There are many specialities of seafood cuisine based on fish from the Adriatic, from brodetto (fish soup) to frittura di paranza (fried fish), without neglecting the other dishes of Teramo gastronomy linked to the land.