Skip to main content
Santa Maria della Valle - Scanno (AQ)

This church is named from Carapale Valley where it was built. There are only scarce evidences about the early times of its existence: the first attestation dates back to 1568, when it was declared a parish church and painted with Renaissance frescoes.

Santuario di Maria Santissima della Libera - Pratola Peligna (Aq)

All the mountainous and rural Abruzzo refers to his devotion to the Madonna della Libera, Protector of the Peligna Valley, whose cult developed around an image of the Virgin miraculously found in 1456 and attributed to the liberation of the territory from the plague.

Chiesa di San Giovanni Ad Insulam ( Isola Del Gran Sasso (te)

Built on a hill by the river Mavone, in the homonymous valley, surrounded by trees, the church of Saint John was probably founded in the XII century, along with the Benedictine monastery adjoining it, whose ruins bear evidence of its original big size. The faade, adjusted later when the belfry was added, is made of white local stone blocks; the portal, surmounted by a round window, is decorated with spirals and floral reliefs and has mullioned windows with two lights on the sides.

Chiesa Santa Maria dei Centurelli - Caporciano (AQ)

The church lies on the cattle-track from L'Aquila to the Adriatic coast.

Place of rest and lodging for shepherds and sheep traveling towards the seaside pastures, the church has an imposing Renaissance faade dated 1558.

The interior consists of a single nave concluding in a polygonal apse with two chapels on the sides, which are the arms of the transept. Under a triumphal arch there is a Baroque altar.

Built against the right wall of the church there is a hall which functioned once as a lodging for shepherds and sheep.

L.T. 05-02-2021
S. Antonio Abate - Tossicia (TE)

In the quarter called Terra Nuova (New Land), on the top of the built area of the town, there is a little church consecrated to Saint Antony the Abbot, which in the fourteenth-century was certainly adjoined to a Hospitaller center of the order of the hermit Saint. The magnificent portal, carved by a Lombard master named Andrea and dated 1471, is what remains of the stone faade, after the demolition of the belfry that towered over it at the beginning of the last century.

Collegiata di Santa Maria del Colle - Pescocostanzo (AQ)

The collegiate church of Santa Maria del Colle (on the hill), whose main faade overlooks the valley lying below, towers over the town of Pescocostanzo.

San Clemente Al Vomano - Notaresco (te)

Founded in the ninth century on a slope by the right bank of the river Vomano, the church was part of a Benedictine monastery under the jurisdiction of San Clemente in Casauria and was built by order of Ermengarde, Emperor Ludwig's daughter. Thanks to a partial restoration carried out in 1926, the building appears as it looked like when it was built in the XII century. The faade made of brick and white stone blocks has in the middle a magnificent portal, whose architrave is a stone round arch, carved with spirals, inspired to classical models and dated 1108.

Eremo Santuario della Madonna di Pietrabona - Castel di Ieri (Aq)

The shrine is mentioned, first and foremost, in the papal decrees of Lucio III (1183) and Clemente III (1188), then also in a papal bull of Onorio III (1223).

Teate Marrucinorum - Chieti

The Roman town named Teate was founded on a hill between the rivers Pescara and Alento, in a place inhabited since the prehistory. The area developed considerably in the first century B.C., when it became a Roman municipium with the name of Teate Marrucinorum.

Chiesa Santa Maria A Vico - Sant'Omero (Te)

Founded before the eleventh century and maintained almost intact, Santa Maria a Vico rises in the country, where there was once a temple consecrated to Hercules. The entirely brick faade has a horizontal coping and a stone portal, decorated with the holy lamb and the symbols of the four evangelists. The restoration directed by Giuseppe Sacconi reinstated the original rose-window in the middle of the faade. On the external walls there are a few mullioned windows, with gratings on the internal side. The inside consists of a nave and two aisles and a central round apse.

Subscribe to